At the Cannabis Clinic, we are passionate about providing medicinal cannabis to New Zealanders in need. We are equally passionate about helping other medical professionals do the same. We hope you find these resources helpful to support your clinical use of medicinal cannabis.Register for our Medicinal Cannabis prescribing course
Doctors, you can now refer your patients to the Cannabis Clinic and we will work with you to manage their treatment. We’re pleased to support doctors to help their patients access quality legal medicinal cannabis products.Refer my patient
What is The Evidence For CBD Oil And Medicinal Cannabis?
There is some published evidence supporting the use of medicinal cannabis for particular indications, but conclusive research is lacking. It is important that your patients are aware that your prescription for medicinal cannabis is unapproved and that the evidence is incomplete and as such, it is prescribed on a case by case basis. It is also important that your patient is prescribed the correct medicine in their case, either a pure CBD, balanced or high THC product. If you are unsure what may help your patient, please contact us or use one of our resources on this page.
The evidence base is not uniform, for some symptoms there is a stronger evidence than for others. For example, a recent 2017 report from the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine concluded the following (1,2):
There is conclusive or substantial evidence that cannabis or cannabinoids are effective:
- for the treatment of chronic pain in adults
- as anti-emetics in the treatment of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting
- for improving patient-reported multiple sclerosis spasticity symptoms
There is moderate evidence that cannabis or cannabinoids are effective for:
- improving short-term sleep outcomes in individuals with sleep disturbance associated with obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome, fibromyalgia, chronic pain, and multiple sclerosis
There is limited evidence that cannabis or cannabinoids are effective for:
- increasing appetite and decreasing weight loss associated with HIV/AIDS
- improving clinician-measured multiple sclerosis spasticity symptoms
- improving symptoms of Tourette syndrome
- improving anxiety symptoms in individuals with social anxiety disorders
- improving symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder
Please contact us if you require advice about using medicinal cannabis for your patient(s).