Medicinal Cannabis and Fibromyalgia: Can it Help Manage Your Symptoms?
In this article, we explore how medicinal cannabis can potentially help manage the symptoms of Fibromyalgia. We will provide an overview of what Fibromyalgia is, its common symptoms, and how medicinal cannabis can help with those symptoms. We will also provide tips on how to safely and effectively use medicinal cannabis for Fibromyalgia.Contact us
Medicinal Cannabis and Fibromyalgia: Can it Help Manage Your Symptoms?
Imagine waking up every morning feeling exhausted, achy, and unable to focus on daily tasks. This is the reality for millions of people who live with Fibromyalgia. Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain disorder that affects the muscles and soft tissue throughout the body. The symptoms of Fibromyalgia can be debilitating, making it difficult to perform daily tasks and enjoy life. However, recent research suggests that medicinal cannabis may offer some relief to people living with Fibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia is a complex condition that affects people differently. However, some common symptoms include:
- Chronic pain – widespread pain throughout the body that can last for months or years.
- Fatigue – feeling tired and lacking energy despite getting enough rest.
- Sleep disturbances – difficulty falling or staying asleep, waking up feeling unrefreshed.
- Stiffness – feeling stiff and achy, especially in the morning.
- Brain fog – difficulty with memory, concentration, and other cognitive functions.
- Depression and anxiety – feeling sad, worried, or hopeless.
Medicinal cannabis contains compounds called cannabinoids, which interact with the body’s endocannabinoid system. This system is responsible for regulating various bodily functions, including pain, mood, and sleep. Studies suggest that medicinal cannabis can help alleviate the symptoms of Fibromyalgia by:
1. Reducing Pain
Chronic pain is the hallmark symptom of Fibromyalgia, and medicinal cannabis has been shown to be effective in managing pain. The cannabinoids in cannabis, such as THC and CBD, can help reduce inflammation and pain by interacting with the body’s endocannabinoid system. Research has shown that cannabis can provide significant pain relief for Fibromyalgia patients, and in some cases, it may even reduce the need for opioids.
2. Improving Sleep
Fatigue is another common symptom of Fibromyalgia, and cannabis may help by improving energy levels and reducing fatigue. Some studies suggest that cannabis can help regulate the body’s sleep-wake cycle, which can help reduce fatigue and improve overall quality of life. THC, in particular, has been shown to be effective in improving sleep quality and reducing the time it takes to fall asleep.
3. Reducing Inflammation
Stiffness is another common symptom of Fibromyalgia, and cannabis may help by reducing inflammation and improving muscle relaxation. Some studies have shown that cannabis can help improve joint mobility and reduce stiffness in patients with rheumatoid arthritis, which may also apply to Fibromyalgia patients.
4. Brain fog
Brain fog, or cognitive impairment, is a frustrating symptom of Fibromyalgia that can affect memory, concentration, and other cognitive functions. While more research is needed, some studies suggest that cannabis may help improve cognitive function in certain patients. THC has been shown to have neuroprotective effects, which may help protect the brain from damage and improve cognitive function.
5. Improving mood
Finally, depression and anxiety are common co-occurring conditions in Fibromyalgia patients. Cannabis may help improve mood and reduce anxiety by interacting with the body’s endocannabinoid system. CBD, in particular, has been shown to have anxiolytic effects, which may help reduce feelings of anxiety and depression in some patients.
In conclusion, Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain disorder that can be difficult to manage. However, medicinal cannabis may offer some relief to those living with Fibromyalgia by reducing pain, improving sleep, reducing inflammation, and regulating mood. If you are considering using medicinal cannabis for Fibromyalgia, it is important to do so safely and under the guidance of a healthcare professional. It is essential to start with a low dose and gradually increase it over time. It is also important to choose the right type and strain of medicinal cannabis, as different products have different levels of cannabinoids and may have different effects on the body.
- Fitzcharles, M. A., Baerwald, C., Ablin, J., Häuser, W., & Buskila, D. (2016). Efficacy, tolerability and safety of cannabinoids in chronic pain associated with fibromyalgia: A systematic review of randomised controlled trials. Pain research & management, 2016.
- Russo, E. B. (2008). Cannabinoids in the management of difficult to treat pain. Therapeutics and clinical risk management, 4(1), 245–259.
- Babson, K. A., Sottile, J., & Morabito, D. (2017). Cannabis, Cannabinoids, and Sleep: a Review of the Literature. Current Psychiatry Reports, 19(4), 23.
- Hammell, D. C., Zhang, L. P., Ma, F., Abshire, S. M., McIlwrath, S. L., Stinchcomb, A. L., & Westlund, K. N. (2016). Transdermal cannabidiol reduces inflammation and pain‐related behaviours in a rat model of arthritis. European Journal of Pain, 20(6), 936-948.
- Solowij, N., & Battisti, R. (2008). The chronic effects of cannabis on memory in humans: a review. Current drug abuse reviews, 1(1), 81-98.
- Blessing, E. M., Steenkamp, M. M., Manzanares, J., & Marmar, C. R. (2015). Cannabidiol as a potential treatment for anxiety disorders. Neurotherapeutics, 12(4), 825-836.
If you are looking for a trusted and reliable source of medicinal cannabis, we invite you to visit our clinic and speak with one of our experienced healthcare professionals. Our doctors are committed to helping patients with fibromyalgia manage their symptoms and improve their quality of life. Here are some of the ways our doctors can help:
Care & understanding: Fibromyalgia can be a challenging health condition, and many people go through a long and frustrating process of seeing multiple doctors before receiving proper care.
Personalised treatment plans: There is no one-size-fits-all medicinal cannabis treatment for fibromyalgia, and each person’s symptoms and needs are unique. Our doctors will work with patients to create a personalised treatment plan that takes into account their individual symptoms, lifestyle, and preferences.
Education and support: Fibromyalgia can be a challenging condition to manage, and many patients struggle with feelings of frustration, isolation, and hopelessness. Our doctors can provide education and support to help patients understand their condition, and how medicinal cannabis may help.
Monitoring and follow-up: Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition, and symptoms can wax and wane over time. Our doctors will monitor patients’ symptoms and adjust their treatment plan as needed. They will also schedule regular follow-up appointments to ensure that patients are making progress and address any concerns or issues that arise.
At our clinic, we are committed to providing compassionate, evidence-based care to patients with fibromyalgia. Our goal is to help each patient manage their symptoms and live a full and meaningful life.Contact us